Thursday, October 20, 2011

Ubuntu 11.10 Internet stop working after upgrading from 11.04 desktop

After upgrading my Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10, my internet browser (ie: firefox, chrome, etc) and I can't even ping google.com to check if I have a connection to the internet. But, I can ping my other machine.

The fix that I did was very simple:

If you're currently on your desktop please switch to a terminal

Step 1: CTRL + ALT + F1
Step 2: Enter your username and password
Step 3: Enter the following command

   sudo -i
   service network-manager stop
   dhclient eth0
   dpkg --configure -a


Then try to ping google.com and that should work. Don't forget to reboot or you can switch back to your desktop by pressing CTRL + ALT + F7

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This really helps and I like the straightforward approach. I've been searching for the solution why my Internet stop working after I upgrade from Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10. This post solve my problem.

Anonymous said...

Dude you rock! I was struggling to figure out why all other netowrking was working well but no browsing. You blog helped me so thank you very much!

Anonymous said...

Saved my day!!! I lost hours trying to figure this out .... and then I came across your post!!!

உதயம் said...

Great! It works...